What is PressPad?
PressPad is a social enterprise that matches young journalists with host-mentors. In 2018 the Sutton Trust estimated that it costs a young person £1,019 a month to do unpaid internships in London where the best media opportunities are found. This prices out talented, diverse people who cannot afford to work for free or who don’t have friends/family to stay with.
PressPad significantly lowers these costs by matching such people with professional journalists in London with a spare room who act as hosts and mentors for those completing placements. Our service levels the playing field thus diversifying the media industry.
Numbers for 2018 -2019
Where to next?
During the next year we plan to:
- Develop a marketplace web platform – in the style of AirBnb – so we can automatise the majority of our process.
- Organise outreach, speaking and launch events in universities across the country and in London newsrooms to make sure students from all backgrounds know that we exist and that journalists with spare rooms understand the hosting process.
- Launch a kickstarter campaign.
- Throw a launch event in London to encourage experienced journalists to sign up to host, and celebrate our success to date.
- Work together with our partners to organise career advice events, CV clinics, guest lectures and more across the country.
- Hire a part-time coordinator.
Annissa lives in Birmingham, but was offered an #internship with @SHINEreports in #London. To commute or stay in a hotel would be pricey, so we presented another option: to stay with a leading #journalist at their home and receive both #accommodation and #mentoring. pic.twitter.com/L6jALQPO0z— PressPad (@PressPadUK) November 20, 2018